This is the recipe I get asked for the most often, and the one I’ve made the most over the years. At least fifty times. It’s actually extremely easy to make these cookies, and they are perfectly soft with a slight tart taste of lemon and ginger balanced with dark chocolate chips. Try them!
15 minutes to make the dough.
1 hour cooling in the fridge.
10 minutes in the oven.
For about 30 cookies, the ingredients needed:
250 grams brown sugar
230 grams cooking margarin/butter (the Hungarian brands Rama or Vénusz are the most popular).
400 grams flour
1 packet baking powder
1 packet vanilla sugar
one lemon’s zest and juice
a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
100 grams of dark chocolate crushed into chips
1. Mix the room-temperature butter with the brown sugar with a wooden spoon until you get a uniform mixture. DO NOT melt the butter before using. It will ruin the cookies.
2. Add in the two eggs. Then, in a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder and slowly add it to the egg-sugar-butter mixture.
3. Make sure you use organic lemons because their rinds haven’t been touched by pesticides. Add in the lemon juice and the zest, the vanilla sugar (which come in packets in Hungary), and the grated fresh ginger.
4. Crush or cut up the dark chocolate bar into small chips. I used a rolling pin and then a knife.
5. Mix in the chocolate, and then cool the dough in the fridge for at least one hour.
6. On a baking tray with baking paper, form small balls and place them 2-3 inches apart. Bake at 190 degrees for 10 minutes.
7. Allow the cookies to cool and harden a bit. They will be good for many days. 🙂